The beloved tradition continues on Sunday, November 5, at 5 p.m. in CUAA’s Chapel of the Holy Trinity. Please join us for Concordia Vespers, showcasing great musical works alongside the beautiful Vespers liturgy.
Each semester since 2018, CUAA’s finest student musicians and vocalists present a special Vespers service, proclaiming the Word of God alongside the performance of sacred musical works with historical liturgical significance. All are welcome to attend this special evening of praise and worship.
This year’s featured musical selection is Cantata BWV 115, “Mache dich, mein Geist, bereit” (“Get thyself, my soul, prepared”), by Johann Sebastian Bach. Musicians and vocalists will include CUAA’s Arborsong, The Boychoir of Ann Arbor, and The Concordia Vespers Chamber Orchestra, under the direction of Dr. John Boonenberg, Artistic Director of Concordia Vespers and Kreft Endowed Chair in Music.
The service will also include a message from Rev. Dr. Charles Schulz, associate professor of theology at Concordia University Ann Arbor.
Don’t miss this incredibly moving evening! Admission is free, and a free-will offering will be collected to support future editions of Concordia Vespers.
Support Concordia Vespers
“Sacred music has been a strong part of our tradition and heritage here at Concordia, ever since the first Concordia Choir began in 1963. In the words of Johann Sebastian Bach, ‘The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.’ And we pray that that is the experience of everyone who worships with us at Concordia Vespers.”
—Linda Sproul, Director of Donor and Alumni Relations.
If you would like to support Concordia Vespers by writing a check, please make payable to “CUAA,” write “Concordia Vespers” on the memo line and mail to:
Office of Advancement
4090 Geddes Rd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
You may also make a gift with a credit card on our website: cuaa.edu/give. Type “Concordia Vespers” in the special instructions box.
Thank you to the many generous donors for their support in making Concordia Vespers possible.
COUNTERPOINT GUILD ($25-49)
- Mr. Michael and Mrs. Katherine Duvendeck
- Dr. Jonathan and Mrs. Janel Ehrman
- Mrs. Elizabeth Frederick
- Rev. Galen and Mrs. Patricia Grulke
- Mrs. Judy E Wuckert
BACH MOTIF GUILD ($50-$99)
- Mr. William and Mrs. Karen Boonenberg
- Mr. Andrew and Mrs. Katie Contreras
- Mr. Willis and Mrs. Barbara Hoffmeier
- Mr. Michael and Mrs. Patricia Kalmes*
- Ms. Nancy Niemela
- Mr. Brian and Mrs. Beth Pollatz
- Dr. Linda Speck
- Ms. Jean Thomas
- Mr. Paul and Mrs. Joann Woodward
ART OF FUGUE GUILD ($100-$149)
- Mr. Timothy and Mrs. Amy Bickel
- Mr. Matthew and Mrs. Angela Fremder
- Mr. Royce and Mrs. Krista Hartmann
- Mr. Mark and Mrs. Amy Ingersoll
- Holy Ghost Lutheran Church, Monroe, MI
- Mr. Danny and Mrs. Heather Milot
- Mrs. Janice Morrison
WELL-TEMPERED CLAVIER GUILD ($150-$249)
- Dr. James and Mrs. Elizabeth Eggert
- Mrs. Sally Kennedy
- Mr. Robert and Mrs. Viola Krug
- Rev. Donald and Mrs. Karen Neuendorf
- Mr. Richard and Mrs. Karen Penhallegon
- Dr. Neil and Mrs. Patricia Skov *
- Mr. Andrew Stechholz **
CANTATAS GUILD ($250+)
- Mr. Lester and Mrs. Barbara Altevogt
- Church Extension Fund MI District
- Mrs. Keturah Haab
- Mr. Eugene and Mrs. Barbara Haak *
- Rev. Timothy and Mrs. Erika Halboth*
- Mr. Bruce and Mrs. Monica M Heissenbuettel **
- Mr. Michael and Mrs. Susan Fuchs
- Mr. David and Mrs. Janet Kletzli *
- Capt. Philip Klintworth **
- Mr. Ross and Mrs. Amy Mackenzie **
- Mr. Larry and Mrs. Sandra Seltz **
- Rev. Dr. John and Mrs. Linda Sproul
- Rev. Dr. David and Mrs. Janet Stechholz **
- Mr. Gary and Mrs. Laura Thomas *
*Denotes repeated sustaining gifts – thank you!
The Music Department at Concordia University Ann Arbor is a comprehensive Liberal Arts music experience which offers the opportunity to study, perform, and travel (domestic and international) with departmental ensembles. CUAA is proud to offer a variety of music programs led by talented faculty. Click on the link below to learn more.