Influential leaders and managers continue to be highly sought-after in today’s ever-changing world. People need to know which direction a company or organization is going in and who they must follow to get there.
Leaders must create a strategic vision and motivate followers on the path to the future. Often, this looks like inspiring change and encouraging collaboration. Additionally, leaders need to know how to create a motivating work culture. If you want to grow as a leader in these areas, consider earning a master’s in leadership.
What is a Master of Science in Leadership?
Simply put, an M.S. in Leadership focuses on developing and enhancing the skills and knowledge necessary for influential leadership roles in various fields and industries. It aims to equip students with the expertise to lead, manage, and motivate individuals and teams within organizations. The goal is to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of leadership principles and practical skills they can apply in real-world professional settings. An MSL is an interdisciplinary degree, meaning it is valuable across various industries, as all organizations and sectors need capable and creative leaders.
What are some benefits of earning a master’s in leadership?
Earning a Master’s in Leadership degree offers various benefits that can significantly impact personal and professional development. Some of these advantages include:
- Enhanced leadership skills: The program is designed to cultivate and refine leadership abilities, including strategic thinking, decision-making, communication, conflict resolution, and team management. These power skills are highly sought-after in leadership positions across industries.
- Versatility: Leadership skills are transferable across various sectors, from business and healthcare to education and non-profit organizations. This versatility enables graduates to explore diverse career paths.
- Influence and impact: Effective leaders have the potential to influence and impact their teams, organizations, and even communities positively. This degree provides the tools to make such contributions.
This degree suits individuals seeking to advance their careers in leadership roles, whether they are already working professionals or recent graduates aiming to enter the workforce with solid leadership skills and knowledge. Overall, it helps students develop the abilities necessary to lead teams, manage resources effectively, and navigate the complexities of modern organizations.
All about Concordia’s master’s in leadership (MSL)
Concordia’s MSL degree is designed to provide the necessary tools to understand themselves as leaders. Therefore, learning how to successfully unleash the expertise of their team members to drive organizational growth and success.
We aim to help students achieve their career goals in various settings, such as business, government, non-profit, and education. The courses focus on leadership at different levels, such as:
- Business strategy
- Leadership and management
- Leading changes
- Managing human capital
- Organizational performance
Above all, you will leave the program with a new understanding of how leading, inspiring change, and building commitment create positive organizational momentum.
What makes Concordia’s MSL program unique?
Complete in less than two years
Concordia’s MSL program requires 30 semester hours of credit or ten courses. As a result, you can complete it online in less than two years, with new classes starting every eight weeks. This flexibility allows you to obtain your degree while working full-time from anywhere worldwide. You will advance through the program with other students as you collaborate and learn from one another.
Another great benefit is that up to six credits can be transferred from another program or university. Also, 12 credits can transfer into the Doctorate of Business (DBA) program, which will save you time and money if you are continuing to advance your degree.
The master’s in leadership program allows you to research business concepts through a Christian lens. CUWAA’s MSL program prepares you to be a leader in diverse communities and businesses as it blends Christian leadership and ethics with theory and practice. You will study theoretical aspects of leadership from a Christian perspective. After that, you will learn how to implement those theories in your work and leadership experiences.
How is Concordia University unique?
Concordia is a Lutheran Christian school that integrates those Christian values with our programs. In this model, students acquire knowledge and skills in liberal arts disciplines that prepare them to serve Christ in the Church and the world. We bring a holistic approach to every class we offer our students.
We challenge our students academically and allow them to grow spiritually with us in ways they may not find at other universities. Concordia is a community whose calling is to ensure student success and well-being.
How long does it typically take to complete the degree?
The average time to complete the program is 18 months.
What format is offered? How long are the classes?
Our MSL program is offered entirely online in a collaborative format. Classes are eight weeks each. The online structure is very flexible but requires discipline and organization to set up a schedule to complete coursework on time.
How much does the program cost?
This program is $699 per credit hour.
Are there scholarships available?
Yes! We have Uncommon Scholarships available for many qualified students. Our available scholarships include the following:
- Business Community Scholarship: If you are an employee of one of our corporate partners, you may qualify for this scholarship.
- Academic Community Scholarship: If you are an employee of one of our Preferred Education Partner schools or districts, you may qualify for this scholarship.
- Christian Community Scholarship: If you are an employee of any qualifying Christian church or Christian K-12 school, you may qualify for this scholarship.
- Alumni Scholarship: If you graduate from one of Concordia University System school programs, you may qualify for this scholarship.
- Veterans and Dependents Scholarship: If you are a veteran, the spouse of a veteran, or a child of a veteran(age 17-26), you may qualify for this veteran scholarship when federal veteran education benefits are exhausted or unavailable to you.
When funding your education, talk with your employer to see if they will be willing to pay a portion of your tuition. There may be funds, scholarships, or benefits their companies may offer.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher for full acceptance
- Apply Online
- One-page essay
- Describe your reason for pursuing a master’s in leadership
- Resume of your education and employment experience
- Two signed letters of recommendation
- All official transcripts leading to your bachelor’s degree
Ready to jump in?
Whether you are ready or have more questions about earning a Master’s in Leadership, we’re here to help.