Smiling female cadet attends class at a military academy. She is looking at the camera.

This week Concordia University Wisconsin & Ann Arbor Veteran Services and community are taking time to reflect and honor all who have served in the military of our nation. We recognize the sacrificial service that is the embodiment of the Concordia mission “to help students develop in mind, body, and spirit for service to Christ in the Church and the world,” as well as the call of Jesus that instructs:

There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

  John 15:13

Concordia’s Director of Veteran Services, Keith Casey, and his staff recently took time to answer common questions for accelerated students who may be eligible for military benefits in paying the cost of their degrees.

Why are Concordia and the accelerated program a good option for Veterans?

Our accelerated degree programs are designed for working adults like Veterans. You have the option to choose between online learning and evening classes that meet virtually once a week. Therefore, you get complete control over your education without sacrificing your family life or work schedule. Additionally, tuition is paid by term either to Concordia or you depending on the VA educational benefit the veteran is eligible for.

What does it mean for Concordia to be a Yellow Ribbon School?

The Yellow Ribbon Program can help you pay for a private university or graduate school tuition and fees that the Post-9/11 GI Bill doesn’t cover. Concordia is unlimited in amount and in the number of eligible undergraduate students that can use the Yellow Ribbon program. This means that what the VA doesn’t pay for in tuition and fees under the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®, the Yellow Ribbon Program may cover the remaining tuition. 

READ MORE: Tribute to Veteran’s Week: Sharing Veteran Stories

Who do I talk to about my military benefits?

Our Veteran Services team of Barb Ellmaker, Kari Metts, and I can each assist students with questions and processes. Students on our Ann Arbor campus can also contact Bryant Lepic, Veteran Outreach Coordinator.

What military credits typically transfer in at Concordia?

We accept up to 63 transfer credits from your military education. Credits transfer into three categories: Core, Electives, and Program of study. As a requirement, you must request a Joint Military Transcript or a transcript from the Community College of the Air Force.

What are the differences in benefits for Veterans and active military personnel?

Active-duty personnel can use Federal Tuition Assistance from their branch of service or any VA educational benefits. Veterans use VA educational benefits for which they would qualify.

How are benefits dispersed for accelerated students?

This is really dependent upon the Veterans’ educational benefit eligibility. Certain VA chapters are for tuition and fees only and thus paid directly to Concordia, while other benefits are dispersed to the student.

What documents need to be submitted to Concordia? 

Students should submit the following to our department:

  1. VA Educational Benefits Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  2. Joint Service Transcript (US Army, US Navy, US Coast Guard, and US Marine Corps) or Community College of the Air Force Transcript
  3. For the WI Veterans Assistance Grant for Private Non-Profit Schools, the Wi Department of Veteran Affairs Certificate of Eligibility

Any questions, we can help

Thank you for your service! We are happy to answer any questions you have about Veteran or military benefits. To get in contact with us or learn more about our degrees, click the buttons below.