If you’re here, reading this post, you already know a few things about Concordia University Ann Arbor. Throughout this week, we want you to know a whole lot more about this place nearly 1,200 current students affectionately call home. Each day you will be introduced to different faculty and staff and meet some current and new students who, together, make up our big, happy, uncommon family.
Get in on this: ALL IN!
Above all else, know this: At Concordia University Ann Arbor we are ALL IN. Everybody. That means that every single student is known and loved, personally. We can’t wait to know you, too. Faculty and staff routinely demonstrate this commitment in the classroom, in the halls, and on the fields, which is special, but not unusual, for a small private school. What makes CUAA uncommon is that our entire community (faculty, staff, alumni, and other students) go above and beyond to support and care for each other in life and for life. You will not find this level of commitment anywhere else.
Vice President of Administration Rev. Dr. Ryan Peterson describes the campus culture as “high challenge, high support.” According to Peterson, “We set high expectations for our students, but then we assure them that they are not alone. We walk alongside them every step along the way.”
Peterson, as the executive leader of campus, literally walks alongside students, runs alongside students, prays with students, studies with students (often at his home), cheers among students, and even stands on top of their shoulders as he is frequently lifted to the top of the pyramid by the cheer team during athletic events.
When you visit the CUAA campus, you will meet Rev. Dr. Peterson. He makes sure of it.
“No matter what I’m doing, nothing is more important than welcoming future students and their families to campus,” says Peterson.
Peterson sets the ALL IN stage that is fully embraced, campus-wide.
Here are some more unique ALL IN examples:
- Concordia Karaoke — Thanks to karaoke enthusiast and Campus Pastor Randy Duncan (aka “P-Dunc”), group singing to the classics is a staple at CUAA gatherings.
- Football Tailgates — The exciting Concordia Cardinals game-day environment includes a community-wide tailgate tradition after home football games that has become a highlight of campus life at CUAA.
- The CARDYs — An uncommon annual gala for students, faculty, and staff where everyone dresses up and recognizes another year of accomplishments, based off the annual award show The ESPYs.
- Sending Service — A campus-wide service each semester attended by the entire community for students heading out on internships, student teaching semesters, family life internships, and studying abroad.
- Blessing of the Hands — A meaningful celebration that blesses each new nursing cohort.
More than friends
We know what you’re thinking, “That sounds great if I were only looking for my next friend group, but I need to choose a college that will help me be prepared for life.”
There are many more things to know about us than our cool community vibe.
No doubt you know that we are a Christian community and that we place a high value on knowing and caring for each other. Perhaps you know that we are the Cardinals and that nearly 60 percent of our men and women are student-athletes. Hopefully you also know that we have a beautiful campus along the Huron River in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We like to say that “we offer a park-like setting in a Big Ten town.”
Now let’s talk about academic programs. We offer 45 different choices from five different academic schools: Arts & Sciences, Business, Education, Health Professions, and Nursing. As CUAA grew exponentially in recent years, the university has made significant investments in a new academic building that supports all our health and nursing programs, and has supported the development of high-demand programs, in nursing, athletic training, and a whole slate of health professions.
If you’re still wondering if CUAA is right for you, talk to Enrollment Director Jesús Hernández. According to him, “As Christians, we live and lead with intention. We recognize that each person, each student, is a gift from God who was uniquely created to be of service. With that as our foundation, our relationships are deeper, our approach to learning and understanding is custom-tailored to the individual student, and our commitment to preparing them well for meaningful lives is unrelenting.”
To deliver on that promise and to ensure that each student experiences an uncommon level of support and care along the way, CUAA created a holistic, comprehensive approach called the five-star experience:
- You will witness our Christian mission and hospitality at all points of contact.
- You will come first because we are student-focused.
- Your expectations will be exceeded because of our personal attention.
- You can trust us to provide accurate, useful, and timely information.
- Your questions and concerns are important and will be addressed in a timely fashion.
All that to say, it is our mission to get you ready.
Are you ready to take the next step?
Your ALL IN starts now
Which one of these resonates with you? Click to learn a little more about Concordia University Ann Arbor.
- For the student who wants flexibility
- For the student who didn’t think college was within reach
- For the student looking for a community
- For the student who is unsure of what comes next
If you or someone you know wants to learn more about our uncommon college experience and how you can become a part of it, please start here:
Hernández and his team are available by zoom to answer any questions, connect you with a coach or arts director, or set up a 1-1 with a professor. Whether in person or online, we’re here for you and ready to welcome you in to the family.
If this story has inspired you, why not explore how you can help further Concordia's mission through giving.